Through this assignment, we encourage you to explore your own educational and cultural backgrounds as you transition to a new school – Shanghai Qibao Dwight High School (QDHS)! You have read two articles and watched three videos about the experiences of students in different educational systems. What will your experience at Qibao Dwight be like? You will create a short video explaining your thinking process and sharing your questions.
(Use this question to guide your thinking; your video should answer this question directly or indirectly).
Please create a video that is approximately 5-8 minutes long. In the video, please include the following:
- Tell us your Chinese name and your English name. If you do not have an English name, think about names you might want to use and why.
- Tell us where you currently live and which middle school you attended.
- Tell us if you have any brothers, sisters, or pets.
- Tell us how you are spending your summer.
- Tell us one or two additional pieces if information you would like to share.
- Interview one parent or another family member and make sure to video record the interview.
- Include a 30-second segment of the interview in the video.
- You may interview your parent in English or interview them in Chinese then translate for them (using subtitles).
- Sample questions include:
Answer 2 out of 10 questions. Prompts that relate to IB Learner Profile.
- Please take a 15-30 minute walk around the neighborhood where you live and think about which experiences from your life you will bring to Qibao Dwight.
- Take a photograph, pick up an object, or think of a song that represents these experiences.
- In the video, share the photograph, object, or song, and reflect on some the following questions:
a) How do you feel about starting at a new school, QDHS?
b) Which aspects of this new experience excite you? Which aspects make you worry?
c) In what ways do you expect to succeed, and in what ways do you think you will be challenged?
d) What questions do you have about QDHS and/or this new kind of education?
Please create a video in mp4 format with any program you like. For simple video recording and editing, consider using iMovie on Mac computers or the Camera app on PC computers.
Please name your file “House_Full Name_Journey Video.” For example, if you are in Section 3 and your name is Michelle Wang, the file would be named “Aristotle_Michelle Wang_Journey Video.”
We will show you on campus July 31st how to submit the assignment.